Friday, March 18, 2011

The Seven Deadly Sins

I saw a television program the other day where a man said that he thought the seven deadly sins had become irrelevant to our society. I decided to, in my infinite wisdom, prove the bugger wrong. Following; I have written 7 (very very short) poems to illustrate the very real prevalence of these sins in our society. They are all very serious and should be taken as such.


Always Greener

My neighbour bought a swimming pool,

So I bought a swing.

My neighbour talks quite frequently,

So I learnt to sing.

My neighbour bought a little dog;

I bought a Great Dane.

My neighbour planted fields of wheat;

I learnt to process grain.

My neighbour bought a second dog,

So I had a second child.

My neighbour got a cold one day,

So I up and died.


The Gluttonous Goldfish

The goldfish Graham sat

At the bottom of his tank.

He’d eaten so much yesterday

To the bottom he had sank.

His lovely owner Isabelle

Fed him every day

She wanted him to dance for her

She wanted him to play

But all he did was lie around

And wait till he was fed

So she gave him all the supplements

That popped into her head.

One day she gave him caffeine

And eighteen little sweets

He ate them all with gusto.

She then gave him cured meats.

After he had finished,

He felt his tummy burst

And as he died, he gurgled

“I’d have danced for liverwurst”


The Wrath of Randy

Randy was a robot.

He was programmed to be cross.

His mantra, announced daily

Was “RAN.DY. IS. THE. BOSS.*”

He had no formed religion

He never understood

Why people would not serve him

Because he thought they should.

He saw them care for trees

He frowned a metal frown

Then Randy got quite angry

And burnt the trees all down.

He saw them feed their animals

And some big, fat, greedy fish

So he planned to kill them too,

Then he could get his wish.

For people to serve him,

He’d have to kill each one

So he’d find them in the water…

And have a little fun.

Randy was a robot,

In the water, he jumped in.

He forgot he would short circuit

Showing; robots should not sin.


Buzz

Penny lay about all day,

She longed to sleep;

But not to play.

She went to lie beneath a tree,

And went to sleep

From ten till three.

She woke to see a small black fly.

This fly he flew,

He flew so high.

As he flew down,

She sat up

And watched him on a

Buttercup.

A breeze then blew.

The fly flew south.

And popped into

Her open mouth.


Inventory

The lunches cost five thousand.

The suits then cost 3 more.

The ceiling was repainted;

We reorganised the floor.

The finance manager makes

Ten thousand every week,

But if you count embezzlement,

I beat the little geek.

The lunches cost twelve hundred.

I stole my boss’s suits.

My cousin did the ceiling;

I paid him in beetroots.

The lawyer came to meet today,

She has a stunning fee.

She better get me off this charge,

It better be tax free.


On the Table

Petra was wheeled quickly

To the operating room.

In the lobby waited anxiously

Her soon-to-be bridegroom.

The scalpel cut her open.

Then she was stitched back up.

She was wheeled back to her bed,

To eat a jelly cup.

Her bandages were set

To come off in a month

To show her face in public

Would be quite truly uneath.**

Eventually in time,

The bandages were stripped

And out from underneath came her

New nose, pointy tipped.



The Birds & the Bees

The bird and the bee

Sat up in the tree

And peered in each other’s eyes

Said the bird to the bee

“Well darling, really;

I thought you’d be more into flies.”

Said the bee to the bird,

“My love, have you heard

That flies do not have your brains

I was really more worried

That you would have flurried

For my house floods each time it rains.”

The bird was so flattered.

Her fears had been shattered.

The bee seemed to love her back.

The bee continued,

“My love, I need you.

That, and you’ve got a great rack.”



*Said in robot voice

**Month rhymes with uneath (a very obscure and now archaic word meaning 'difficult' or 'not easily (borne, or done)'


The poem ‘Buzz’ refers to sloth, 'Always Greener' to jealousy, ‘The Gluttonous Goldfish’ to gluttony, ‘Inventory’ to greed, ‘The Wrath of Randy’ to wrath, ‘On the Table’ to vanity and ‘The Birds & the Bees’ to lust.



So there you have it kids. The seven sins really are deadly!

No comments:

Post a Comment